At One of a Kind Apartments environmental sustainability is at the heart of our business practices, and is the core of our values and beliefs. We strive to have a positive impact on the ecosystem with which we operate in, and create as little waste as possible. After all, if we as a collective are the cause of the overwhelming amount of rubbish, then together we can also be the solution. The solution could be as simple as changing out beliefs and attitudes as consumers.
I’m sure most people would agree that recycling is a positive thing, but there are more ways to think of recycling than just the traditional yellow-lid recycling bin. We can rethink the ways in which we create waste and ultimately, what we can do with it. Below are 6 different approaches we take to recycle, and you too can put these in to practice.
1. Stop buying groceries in plastic, instead shop at local farmers markets and food co-ops where you can bring your own containers and bags. In Canberra we enjoy the Capital Regional Farmers Market and the ANU Food Co-op.
2. Reuse clothing and kitchenware. Instead of throwing these items out when you no longer have a need for them, deliver them to your local Salvation Army or Saint Vinnies. You can also pick up a bargain by shopping at these stores.
3. Recycle through Terracycle. Terracycle is a fantastic international upcycling and recycling company that collects difficult-to-recycle packaging and products and repurposes the material into affordable, innovative products. We are part of the oral care brigade, where we collect oral hygiene products that have been left in our apartments by guests, and store them in a cardboard box to send in to Terracycle when we have enough. We are also part of the cigarette waste brigade where we do a similar thing. You can also get involved at an organisational level or as an individual, simply collect the products (oral care products, cigarette butts, nespresso capsules, cleaner product packaging), request a label and then send the products in.
4. Upcycle - Make art out of old cutlery or ulensils – We have an art gallery foyer decorated with pieces of artwork made out of repurposed tools, we have also made a feature in the concrete in our foyer out of old tools, coins etc.
5. Instead of recycling jars, use them as glasses, or containers for food.
6. Re-purposed furniture – you can buy good quality second-hand furniture from estate sales or from ex hotel furniture sales. You can also jazz this furniture by upholstering it.